Trenton, New Jersey
In 1996, the City of Trenton, New Jersey was granted $200,000 in US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Brownfields Assessment Demonstration Pilot funding. The success of this initial grant has allowed the City of Trenton to continue to receive millions of dollars in subsequent Brownfields Assessment, Cleanup, and Revolving Loan Fund Grants. BRS personnel have been responsible for all of Trenton's successful EPA Brownfield grant applications.
BRS was contracted by the City of Trenton to administer these grants and the majority of the associated projects. BRS has since served as outsourced staff for the City of Trenton, successfully implementing and closing out grants. The grants resulted in the investigation and cleanup of dozens of sites.
BRS has assisted the City of Trenton with a variety of tasks, including:
- Assisted with determining the eligibility of potential grant activities and sites and acted as liaison between the City of Trenton, the state regulatory agency, and the USEPA for all grant matters;
- Reviewed and evaluated environmental investigation reports as needed;
- Prepared all USEPA reporting requirements, including quarterly reports, forms, and requisite database updates;
- Successfully identified and applied for additional funding from various state and federal resources; and
- Maintained the grant and extensive project budgets to ensure that the funding was appropriately spent by the required deadline.