Former Camden Ship Repair Facility
The former Camden Ship Repair facility was historically used by the John H. Mathis Company and the Camden Ship Repair Company for building vessels, including yachts and a variety of ships used during World War II. The Mathis Company operated on-site from approximately the early 1900s until the 1960s. Potential redevelopment of the Camden Ship Repair site includes of open space, such as a waterfront linear park with a fishing pier, as well as mixed use residential and retail uses. Redevelopment may also include high-rise (10+ stories) housing.
Brownfield Redevelopment Solutions, Inc. (BRS) provided technical project management, and represented the interest of the Camden Redevelopment Agency (CRA) in the property’s environmental investigation and remediation. BRS is also taking a lead role in promoting and negotiating reuse of the site as part of Camden’s overall strategy to revitalize this underutilized waterfront area that has been targeted by Camden for economic redevelopment.
Other services include:
- Providing technical expertise and guidance
- Oversee additional environmental investigation activities
- Interacting with the state regulatory agency to best represent the public property owner’s rights and maximize the liability protections afforded under state and federal law
- Providing input to streamline the environmental approval processes
- Review previous environmental data and develop and updated investigation strategy incorporating changes in state standards and reuse plans
- Shepherding permit approvals needed for site;
- Coastal General Permit No. 15 (Investigation, Cleanup, Removal or Remediation of Hazardous Substances) for any work conducted within 500 ft of the mean high water line (MHWL)
- Waterfront Development Individual Permit (WFD) for any work conducted waterward of the MHWL
- Wetlands Letter of Interpretation (LOI) Line Verification
- Freshwater Wetlands General Permit No. 4 (Hazardous Site Investigation and Cleanup) if freshwater wetlands/transition areas/State open waters are disturbed
- NJDEP Exotic and Nongame Wildlife Permit.
Location: Camden, New Jersey
Client: Camden Redevelopment Agency, 13th Floor, City Hall, Camden, New Jersey 08101-5120