Former RCA Building 8 Project
The former RCA Building 8 Project is the first market-rate condominium development in the history of the City of Camden. This project includes the conversion of a large-scale 10 story, 120,000 square foot manufacturing facility into 99 condominium units for sale and first-floor retail/commercial space.
Brownfield Redevelopment Solutions, Inc. (BRS) provided technical project management, and represented the interest of the Camden Redevelopment Agency (CRA) in the property’s environmental investigation and remediation.
- Providing technical expertise and guidance
- Serving as the owner’s representative overseeing developer and environmental consultant’s investigation and remediation activities
- Assisting the CRA by ensuring environmental agreements between the agency and developer were properly enforced and applied
- Interacting with the state regulatory agency to best represent the public property owner’s rights and maximize the liability protections afforded under state and federal law
- Providing input to streamline the environmental approval processes
- Identifying the need for and overseeing the performance of a risk assessment to ensure clean up standards employed in the building’s interior were effective in protecting worker and future resident’s health
- Serving as communications liaison between the CRA and the New Jersey Redevelopment Authority to draw down on a $2 million USEPA Cleanup Grant
- Securing, through an available state assistance program, additional $2 million in grant funds to complete clean up
- Taking a creative approach with use of HDSRF funding to conduct building interior remediation as a result, the project is the first to access HDSRF remediation funding, over $1.5 million, in support of historic preservation
Location: Camden, New Jersey
Client: Camden Redevelopment Agency, City Hall, Suite 1300, P.O. Box 95120, Camden, NJ 08101-5120