The Former Antrim Hardware Site
BRS provided assistance to the Camden Redevelopment Agency for the successful redevelopment of the former Antrim Hardware Site. The former Antrim Hardware site was a family owned and operated hardware and supply store for almost 100 years. After the subsequent owner abandoned the property, BRS assisted the Camden Redevelopment Agency in a partnership with the non-profit Cathedral Kitchen and the NJDEP to remediate and redevelop the site as a permanent location for Cathedral Kitchen’s green facilities.
Project positive impacts
- Cathedral Kitchen, serving the Camden area since 1976, provides approximately 8,000 hot and nutritious meals each month. The new facility has allowed for Cathedral Kitchen to expand the number of clients that they can serve.
- The new facilities are allowing Cathedral Kitchen to start a culinary arts job training program.
- As part of the redevelopment agreement, Cathedral Kitchen provides to the City a payment in lieu of taxes of $20,000/year for 20 years. Prior to redevelopment, the site was abandoned and generated no tax revenue for well over a decade.
- The project is expected to receive its LEED Silver certification, thus being the first green building in this part of Camden.
BRS project responsibilities
- BRS served as liaison between the NJDEP, the contractor & the developer. As a result of BRS involvement, the project investigation & cleanup activities were streamlined resulting in a shortened redevelopment schedule.
- BRS managed the remediation at the site which addressed historic fill, an underground storage tank and groundwater contamination.
- BRS obtained over $35,000 in state HDSRF Grant monies which were used for the requisite environmental investigation work.
- BRS assisted with coordination of funding to include over $200,000 for demolition, remediation and other environmental project work as well as $1 million for facility construction from the State Economic Recovery Board for Camden.
Location: Camden, New Jersey
Client: Camden Redevelopment Agency 13th Floor, City Hall Camden, New Jersey 08101-5120